Our experiences have helped us to compile a list of important details for your wedding reception. Many couples assume that these details will be taken care of by others. These decisions are yours to make. Please consider them carefully when planning your wedding reception.
10 Tips for a Great Reception
- When planning your guests seating arrangement, don't seat older guests or those with sensitive hearing, near the speakers. Also keep in mind any guests with small children.
- A smaller dance floor is sometimes better than a large dance floor. Guests tend to feel more comfortable blending into a dense dance crowd, than feeling that they are being watched. Banquet managers may try to sell a larger room for obvious business reasons. If your guests end up filling the dance floor and dancing between the tables, that only adds to the party atmosphere. Also, make sure your entertainment is close to the dance floor, and not packed away in a corner.
- End the party before it ends itself. It's better to end the night with a packed dance floor (with guests wanting more) than to drag it out for the few last guests. Your guests will leave remembering the last hour of your reception was a packed party!
- Darker is better. Guests feel more comfortable dancing with a dimmer dance floor. Be sure to ask any media vendors (photographer/videographer) if their equipment is high-end enough to not require any flood lights and that room lights do not need to remain bright during dancing.
- If possible, select a venue with the bar in the main room. When guests need to leave the main room for the bar, this sometimes takes away from the dance floor. If closing bar for an hour, try and do that during dinner, not an hour before end time as this will suggest to your guests that it is time to leave.
- Respect your entertainment vendor's musical opinions. Your wedding reception shouldn't be the time to prove to your guests that you are into obscure music. Be sure to remember that your wedding is not only the most important day of your life, but also a party for your closest friends and family. People dance to what they know.
- Treat professional vendors as guests and make sure they are offered the same meal as guests. If possible feed them at same time as your head table. If your vendors finish eating the same time you do, they will be immediately available to proceed with their job of entertaining your guests, planning the activities, photographing important events, etc.
- If possible, plan all speeches and important pictures to be done during dinner and before traditional dances and party time. Also, If possible, skip any dollar dance, and if included, stick to a 3 song max. These are notorious for stealing the momentum of the atmosphere of your wedding reception.
- If possible, plan your rehearsal dinner 2 nights before your reception, not 1 night before. Nothing kills the mood of a reception than a hung-over bridal party!
- If you need to cut corners, don't skimp on the entertainment. 81% of your guests will remember the entertainment above everything else
Remember that your wedding day should be one of the most memorable, and personal days of your life. It is also a celebration including a large group of your family and closest friends. Your DJ/Event Planner will work with you to make sure every detail is considered and EVERYONE remembers your special day for a lifetime!
Featured Professional of the Month
Each month, Milestone Entertainment of New England will recommend a different wedding service or preferred vendor as a way to better help you prepare and plan for your special day.
This month we proudly recommend:
PAUL NASH PHOTOGRAPHY
As a member of the Professional Photographers of America, the Connecticut Professional Photographers Association and the Professional Photographers Association of New England, Paul is constantly improving ways to communicate his work in a unique perspective, with dramatic vision and style. Contact Paul and his staff today for an unbelievable experience. Be sure to mention that Milestone Entertainment of New England sent you!
Our Exclusive Reception Planning Packet
Please download the Milestone Entertainment of New England Planning Packet HERE. Fill it out and present it to us at the time of our final meeting.